Prof. Dr. Dirk Trautmann
Department of Physics
University of Basel
tel.: ++41 (0)61 207 3752(office)
personal page: http://phys-merger.physik.unibas.ch/~dirk/
group page: http://phys-merger.physik.unibas.ch/
tel.: +41 (0)61 207 3750
fax: +41 (0)61 207 1349
Dirk Trautmann, born 1943 in Dresden (Germany), studied theoretical physics at the University of Basel and received the Ph. D. for studies in theoretical nuclear physics in 1969. After being an assistant at the Institute for Physics in Basel in the group of K. Alder, he obtained the 'Habilitation' (for the theoretical description of specific nuclear reactions) in theoretical physics at the University of Basel in 1975. Thereafter, in addition to many short visits at different research centers all over the world, he had several longer stays at foreign universities (e.g. Niels-Bohr Institute (Copenhagen-Denmark), University of Indiana (Bloomington-USA), Polytechnic Institute of New York (Brooklyn-USA), University of Cape Town (South Africa), Manne-Siegbahn-Institute (Stockholm-Sweden), Universidad Nacional (Guernavaca-Mexico)). In 1998 he was beeing appointed associate professor for theoretical physics at the Department of Physics in Basel.
The research group of D. Trautmann (with collaborators Dr. Andreas Aste (Basel), PD. Dr. Kai Hencken (now at ABB-Baden), PD. Dr. Thomas Heim (now at FHS-Nordwestschweiz), Dr. Victor Yakhantov (Basel) and with strong collaboration with Prof. Dr. Gerhard Baur (FZ-Jülich-Germany & University of Basel)) is especially interested in problems which are investigated at large collider facilities, e.g., at PSI, CERN (SPS&LHC), GSI (especially FAIR), CEBAF (TJNAF), MSU (RIA) or at RHIC (BNL). The new experimental data obtained at these facilities ask for new theoretical descriptions or at least for an improvement of existing methods. In detail, the group works on:
- Ion-atom collisions, especially the excitation and ionization of atoms. Development of different reaction models, like the semiclassical approximation, Glauber approximation and higher order Born approximation.
- Very accurate calculation of the excitation and the breakup of pionium in relativistic collisions with atoms. Interpretation of the corresponding experiment DIRAC at CERN (aimed to measure the lifetime of pionium as a test of chiral perturbation theory).
- Theoretical investigation of the Coulomb excitation of halo nuclei, produced at rare isotope facilities (especially FAIR at GSI or RIA).
- Study of electromagnetic processes in ultraperipheral collisions of relativistic heavy ions, especially photonuclear and photon-photon processes studied at RHIC (Brookhaven) and LHC (CERN). Calculat-ion of coherent vector meson production, (elastic and inelastic) lepton pair production and study of electroweak processes.
- Investigation of exclusive electron scattering, measured at TJNAF (CEBAF, USA), especially radiative corrections and Coulomb corrections.
- Calculation of antiquark distributions, which will be determined by measurements at the polarized proton-proton collider at RHIC (Brookhaven).
- Investigation of chaotic structures in the classical calculation of the spectra of Rydberg molecules and the comparision with the corresponding quantum mechanical values.
- K. Hencken, G. Baur and D. Trautmann, Transverse momentum distribution of vector mesons produced in ultrapheripheral relativistic heavy ion collisions, Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 012303 (2006).
- U. Dreyer, T. Beier, K. Hencken and D. Trautmann, Lepton pair production from deep inelastic scattering in peripheral relativistic heavy ion collisions, Eur. Phys. J. C45, 783-795 (2006).
- A. Aste, K. Hencken and D. Trautmann, Coulomb corrections for coherent electroproduction of vector mesons - eikonal approximation, Eur. Phys. J. A21, 161-167 (2004).
- G. Baur, K. Hencken and D. Trautmann, Electromagnetic dissociation as a tool for nuclear structure and astrophysics, Prog. Part. Nucl. Phys. 51, 487-564 (2003).
- G. Baur, K. Hencken, A. Aste, D. Trautmann and S.R. Klein, Multiphoton exchange processes in ultraperipheral relativistic heavy ion collisions, Nucl. Phys. A729, 787-808 (2003).
- G. Baur, K. Hencken, D. Trautmann, S. Sadovsky and Y. Kharlov, Coherent γγ and γA interactions in very peripheral collisions at relativistic hadron colliders, Phys. Rep. 364, 359-450 (2002).
- P. Banerjee, G. Baur, K. Hencken, R. Shyam and D. Trautmann, Postacceleration effects in the Coulomb dissociation of neutron halo nuclei, Phys. Rev. C65, 064602 (2002).
- H. Meier, Z. Halabuka, K. Hencken, D. Trautmann and D. Trautmann, Bound-free electron-positron pair production in relativistic heavy ion collisions, Phys. Rev. A63, 032713 (2001).
- T.A. Heim, K. Hencken, D. Trautmann and G. Baur, Coherent and incoherent atomic scattering: formalsim and application to pionium interacting with matter, J. Phys. B33, 3583-3604 (2000).
- I. Sick and D. Trautmann, On the rms-radius of the deuteron, Nucl. Phys. A637, 559-575 (1998).
- G. Baur, K. Hencken and D. Trautmann, Photon-photon physics in very periperal collisions of relativistic heavy ions, J. Phys. G.24, 1657-1691 Topical review (1998).