Prof. emer. Dirk Trautmann
Professor emeritus in theoretical physics
Department of Physics
University of Basel
T +41 (0)61 207 37 52
Dirk Trautmann, born 1943 in Dresden, studied physics at the University of Basel and received the Ph. D. in theoretical physics in 1969 (Prof. K. Alder). As a postdoc at the Institute for Physics in Basel he obtained the 'Habilitation' in 1975. From 1975 to 1998 he visited different research centers for longer stays. e.g. at the Niels-Bohr Institute (Copenhagen-Denmark), University of Indiana (Bloomington-USA), Polytechnic Institute of New York (Brooklyn-USA), University of Cape Town (South Africa), Manne-Siegbahn-Institute (Stockholm-Sweden) and Universidad Nacional (Guernavaca-Mexico)). In 1998 he was beeing appointed associate professor for theoretical physics at the Department of Physics in Basel. Since 2010 he is emeritus professor.
Areas of interest
- Ion-atom collisions, especially the excitation and ionization of atoms and the development of different reaction models for such reactions.
- Excitation and breakup of pionium in relativistic collisions with atoms.
- Theoretical investigation of the Coulomb excitation of halo nuclei, produced at rare isotope facilities.
- Study of electromagnetic processes in ultraperipheral collisions of relativistic heavy ions.
- Investigation of exclusive electron scattering i.e. radiative corrections and Coulomb corrections.
- Relativistic astrophysics in connection with general relativistic effects.
Dirk Trautmann has published ca. 250 articles in refereed journals; some few and new articles are listed below:
- I. Sick and D. Trautmann, On the rms-radius of the deuteron, Nucl. Phys. A637, 559-575 (1998).
- G. Baur, K. Hencken and D. Trautmann, Photon-photon physics in very peripheral collisions of relativistic heavy ions, J. Phys. G.24, 1657-1691 Topical review (1998).
- T. A. Heim, K. Hencken, D. Trautmann and G. Baur, Coherent and incoherent atomic scattering: formalism and application to pionium interacting with matter, J. Phys. B33, 3583-3604 (2000).
- H. Meier, Z. Halabuka, K. Hencken, D. Trautmann and D. Trautmann, Bound-free electron-positron pair production in relativistic heavy ion collisions, Phys. Rev. A63, 032713 (2001).
- G. Baur, K. Hencken, D. Trautmann, S. Sadovsky and Y. Kharlov, Coherent γγ and γA interactions in very peripheral collisions at relativistic hadron colliders, Phys. Rep. 364, 359-450 (2002).
- G. Baur, K. Hencken and D. Trautmann, Electromagnetic dissociation as a tool for nuclear structure and astrophysics, Prog. Part. Nucl. Phys. 51, 487-564 (2003).
- K. Hencken, G. Baur and D. Trautmann, Electron-positron pair production in ultra-relativistic heavy ion collisions, Phys. Rep. 453 (2007), 1-27.
- T. Zingg, A. Aste and D. Trautmann, Just dust: about the (in)applicability of rotating dust solutions as realistic galaxy models, Adv. Studies Theor. Phys. 1 (2007), 409-432.